Ladies Progressive Society
In 1941, with only about twenty families of Greek origin in Charlottesville, a women’s club was formed. While the men focused on incorporating the community in order to purchase a building for a church and recreation center, the women undertook projects such as sponsoring a war orphan and serving as a philanthropic organization aiding many members of the Armed Forces. It wasn’t until 1945 that our club established its By-laws, Constitution and adopted its present name the Ladies Progressive Society.
In 1953, the American Greek Community’s dream of building a Church and Hellenic Center became a reality with the groundbreaking ceremony on Perry Drive. Throughout the years, our Society has provided funds to build, renovate and beautify our Greek Orthodox Church and Hellenic Center, while also providing financial assistance to the Church Choir, the Acolytes, Sunday School, and to the University of Virginia Hellenic Society student organization. Philanthropic donations have included assistance to natural disaster victims, those faced with devastating illness throughout the country and to local organizations such as Meals on Wheels, the Rescue Squad, and Ronald McDonald House to name a few. Our organization also began the Annual Greek Bazaar in 1953 which is now our Greek Fest.
We are always looking for new members. We meet the first Sunday of the month, September through June, in the Hellenic Center, following the Divine Liturgy.
Officers for 2021 are as follows:
President - Effie Pappas
Vice-President - Moira Ryan
Secretary - Kathie Caramanis
Treasurer - Mary Ann Bournos